Monday, May 29, 2006

I Want To Scrum The Media

Here’s my thinking, if the Prime Minister calls a press conference, and wants to be in control of who asks questions, it’s his party, so if you don’t want to play, don’t accept the invite. Go find some opposition buddy to hang out with, and get your story that way.

If you, the media, are representing the people, then, we, the people, should get an opportunity to question you, and the stories that you write. But we don’t get that opportunity. Sure, we can email you, your papers, or the network that you work for anytime we want. The problem with that, and I have tried it, is that you get back a standard response that simple says something like: Thank you we have received your message.

Thanks for that wonderful feedback!! Makes me feel like my opinion has been heard, NOT!

So, my question is. Who is holding the media to account? They are all over PM Harper and his Ministers, but if you, as a private citizen make a comment about the media performance, or lack thereof, you get a nice little we got your email. Or you can send a letter to the editor, and hope it gets printed, unedited. So, they can edit your letters, and emails, even ignore them if they want, they the media, have that power, as a matter of fact, they think it is their RIGHT. Bet if PM Harper ignored one of their questions they would go ballistic……….oh, wait, they have gone ballistic, because, well, the Prime Minister MIGHT not allow one of them to ask a question!

If the PPG are available everyday, doing nothing as they are not asking questions of the Prime Minister, let’s make Friday a PPG scrum day! I will even line up at the microphone like they would want me to, I assume, because that is what they want to do with the Prime Minister. Let the public fire a few unscripted questions at the media and see how they would handle the pressure!

Like can I ask Jane Taber why she feels she has the right to call someone a bigot? Would she respond? Would she even have the nerve to be there? How about Duffy? Can I ask him about his diet or lack of it? Let’s find out!

I want to scrum the media! Should be fun!!

No comments: