Sunday, April 02, 2006

Alberta PC's Kill Their Own Party

Well, Klein is out, but so are the PC's in Alberta. Maybe not the next election, but if they elect the wrong leader, someone Albertan's perceive to be small l Liberal, they are done.

Federally, Alberta went all blue. This shows a strong support for Conservative ideals. Having the Conservatives elected federally also stopped short, for the time being, the growing calls for seperation. Albertans are going to give PM Stephen Harper's government a lot of rope in the hopes that at least some of their priorities will get passed.

A majority of Albertans still liked and supported Klein, I have always supported him because he got elected by saying he was going to cut government and eliminate the debt. He did that, and despite those cuts, got re-elected with majorities. What does that say about Albertans?? We like a straight shooter! That's why we like Harper, we believe what he says is going to happen, will actually happen.

My perception of the Alberta PC's has changed, and not for the better. This leaves me with a problem, I can not vote for the Liberals or the NDP, they are just out of touch with me and what I want for my family. That leaves the PC's or Alliance. Kind of like when the PC's federally messed up, I wasn't going to vote at all until the Reform Party took form. I was happy to have a party close to my ideals to vote for, but who will I vote for in the next provincial election??

Maybe I will vote for the PC's, if they are careful to elect a true Conservative, because that is the direction the country is headed under the leadership of Stephen Harper. If not, the Alliance gives me an alternative to vote for, in the short run, or maybe the long run, given Alberta's voting patterns.

Is the PC party going to suffer the same fate as the other 3 provincial parties in our history?? I don't know, but they might.

I know I have no links to an article to support all this. I am new to blogging, and want to thank The Blogging Tories for adding me to their list (Thanks Stephen). As far as I can figure out, blogging is a diary of thoughts on various issues, so these are my thoughts, agree or not!

1 comment:

Mrsticky005 said...

Hi. Being an Yankee I know zilch about Canadian politics but I thought your blog looked interesting anyways.

Anywho, question. When you use the terms liberal and conservative do you mean them in roughly the same way as American politics? For instance a really condensed definition of each could be...

Conservative- Low taxes and smaller government. Less spending and consequently social programs.

Liberal---High taxes and more spending for more (or "better")
social programs with consequently bigger government.

Would that fit with the Canadian definition of liberal and conservative? The reason I ask is that these political terms can change a lot that it's hard to keep track.