Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Brutal Gas Prices, But My Oil Stocks Are Up!

Well, I was looking at putting some air in my bikes tires today after the last gas price jump, but sadly, that idea didn't last long. It takes me 45 minutes to drive to work now, how long would it take me to bike...I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today said, we should get used to it, demand, (especially in China and India), is rapidly overtaking supply.

The new reality is that the days when OPEC could regulate the oil price with supply shortages/surpluses, are gone.

I expect that renewable energy sources are going to be part of the Conservative plan for the environment. It's a great time to shift the public focus off of the unworkable Kyoto Accord to a more workable renewable energy program.

I was talking about Kyoto the other day, and explaining why I didn't support it, and most of the people I talked to had no idea what it was all about. All they knew was that it had something to do with the environment, and therefore it must be good. Boy, were they shocked when I told them our money could be sent to China, and that no pollution would actually be reduced.

So, while I watch the price of gas increase, I am also watching the price of my oil stocks increasing. At least, if I want to cash those stocks in, I will spend that money here, in Canada. I bet if you all check your pension funds, or RRSP's you will find that you are benefiting from those higher prices as well!

Now, should I melt those pennies down for the zinc and copper content??

No comments: