Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Mom, Does The Principle Have You On Speed Dial Yet?

My youngest son cracked me up this morning, with this question:

"Mom, does the Principle have you on speed dial yet?"

With a semi-straight face, I responded, "luckily not quite yet, but don't push it!" It was a legitimate question as just before Christmas I volunteered for Santa Day, and went to the office to tell them something, and guess who was in the principles office? Yup, you guessed it, my son. It turned out that he was the victim and not really in trouble, but that's not always the case.

I am so blessed to have two wonderful boys, it's a huge responsibility, but totally worth it. I started thinking about how wonderful having children has been for me.

Growing up in a small Alberta town, I aspired to more than marrying the boy next door and starting a family, so after graduation, I packed my bags and headed to the big city to get my degree. During my university years I took a lot of fluff courses, like social studies of women, modern dance, and one that made no sense to me, philosophy. Still I got my degree, went out into the big bad corporate world and made my mark, a small one but even back in the 70's, I found no discrimination against me, as a female.

I worked, got married, and insisted that I preferred dogs to kids anyday! HA

I was petrified of childbirth.

Then my clock started to tick, I had to think long and hard about having children. I got over my fears and hubby helped with the getting pregnant thing, and I loved every minute of being pregnant. No morning sickness, nothing but a special glow, and a feeling that is so special, only women can really understand it, that's why women have more than one child.

I was considered high risk because I was 36. My doctor wanted me to go through a battery of tests, some that can cause a miscarriage, I said no, and today I am glad that I did, because I would have never forgiven myself if one of those tests had caused me to lose one of my sons.

A small town girl, goes to the big city, gets her degree, and what it all comes down to, is that family is the most important part life.

I feel sorry for those bitter feminists, and anyone who has felt that abortion is a solution, it isn't, the solution is family, and morals.

So, my littlest scamp goes to the principles office quite often, but he makes my heart sing. God has blessed me.

No comments: