Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Carolyn Bennett Loses It, And It's Caught On Tape!

I happened to catch some of CPAC after Question Period yesterday. During a Point of Order, frankly, Carolyn Bennett lost it. My jaw dropped watching her melt down.

I don't see this anywhere in the G&M, or Omar Alghabra's little outburst mentioning racist comments, just before her either. Jason Kenney handled them with ease, oh Jennings, right after Bennett, was a hoot, too. Now you tell me, which is worse the PM talking about Greeks and being called a racist, or these little episodes?

To get the real flavour of the melt down, you need to watch it here:



Go to view this clip, choose English or French, and then use the bar to scroll to 5:01:00, watch from 5:01:00 to 5:07:00, it's worth it believe me!

Here's the version, from Hansard:

Mr. Omar Alghabra (Mississauga—Erindale, Lib.):
Mr. Speaker, we know the Conservative government has a pattern of smearing members of Parliament. We know this junior minister has a particular pattern in smearing and stereotyping communities.

In his response to a question that was directed to him in question period, he associated me with a statement. I do not know where he came to the conclusion that I had anything to do with this statement. This was a racist statement with which he associated me.
I am sure, Mr. Speaker, you do not accept such statements being said in the House without evidence or justification. I would ask you to ask the member to provide evidence why he is associating me with that statement in this House.

Hon. Jason Kenney (Secretary of State (Multiculturalism and Canadian Identity), CPC):
Mr. Speaker, I am entirely certain that the blues will reflect that what I said was that the organization formerly headed by the member for Mississauga—Erindale viciously opposed this government's decision to withdraw from Durban. I went on to cite part of the press release issued by that organization. It is called the Canadian Arab Federation and the operable statement says:

We would also like to remind [the secretary of state] that he is a Minister of the Canadian government, not the racist Israeli government--

I understand that the member opposite was a president of this organization. If I am mistaken, I would be happy to withdraw my statement, but I believe it is a matter of fact and I will not retract facts.

The Speaker:
The hon. member for St. Paul's is rising on the same point or another one?

Hon. Carolyn Bennett (St. Paul's, Lib.):
Mr. Speaker, it is a different one, but it is the same parliamentary secretary I am afraid.

He has again misled the House in terms of my position on the government going or not going to the prep meetings for the Durban conference.

It is quite clear that I appeared on television conflicted and repeating the good work that the minister had done in Durban in 2005 in terms of moderating the panel. I then clarified it in my blog that afternoon in terms of admitting that it was a very difficult decision, but I agreed with our leader and the foreign affairs critic. I would expect the parliamentary secretary to withdraw his comments.

Hon. Jason Kenney (Secretary of State (Multiculturalism and Canadian Identity), CPC):
Mr. Speaker, it sounds like it was the member for St. Paul's who had to withdraw her comments after she made them. I know the member for Wascana gets a little concerned whenever I cite anything from my BlackBerry, so I am--

Hon. Ralph Goodale:
Table it.

Hon. Jason Kenney:
There we are, Mr. Speaker.

I am trying to produce a hard copy just to satisfy the distinguished opposition House leader, but I do have here a transcript of the member for St. Paul's appearing on the Michael Coren show last week in which she said, “And if we are not there, how do we stand up?”

I reasonably inferred from that, that she thinks we should be there and that is presumably why she had to clarify the matter on her blog.


You really have to watch it to get the full flavour, I wish I was computer literate enough to make a Youtube video of her blonde moment.

So, three different Liberals, three different points of order yesterday, nothing in the papers about that today, but PM Harper says something innocent about Greeks, and it's news?

I sense a trend here, racism. That's the label they are going for, yesterday it was Alghabra, today it was some Liberal accusing the PM of it, who is the target tomorrow? I guess "hidden agenda" isn't working so they are going for "racist", with the help of the media.

Dion needs to get control of his hard left MP's, they seem to be running the party right now, maybe promising to deliver him the ethnic vote. Isn't that how he won the Liberal leadership?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We know the media doesn't play fair because their vested interests (profits) depend on liberalism. But these episodes can come in handy during election campaigns. (real conservative)

Anonymous said...

Wow , and after all that Kenney was still smiling , reading the facts , lmao.

hunter said...

Yes, the Liberals are getting a little shrill these days, when they bother to show up in the House, 30 were missing on Monday.

Anonymous said...

The fact that you do not see what Harper said as being wrong is truly disturbing.

Where was the need to say Greek when referring to the men?

Harper was rattled and he blew it. Not the first time for CPC.

Is Kenney out of the closet yet?

Anonymous said...

The fact that you do not see what Harper said as being wrong is truly disturbing.

Where was the need to say Greek when referring to the men?

Harper was rattled and he blew it. Not the first time for CPC.

Is Kenney out of the closet yet?

Anonymous said...

The head of the CAF was on a radio show and stated that about 90% of Lebanese and Muslimns in canada support Hezballah .

He said this after the bogus peace-march that had Hezballah flags while the local Police in Toronto and Montreal provided Security for the Marchers so they weren't harmed by the Islamophobe Racists .

Omar appeared at a Islamic Conference last July and he spoke at one segment that deal with "Shared-Citizenship" for Muslims who are in canada and want Passport benefits while being a "Islamic" Citizen with all the Social benefits like Health Care , the topic for one speaker was about dismantling Multiculturalism that forces Muslim to be included in Cultural Groups and not "Islamic" citizens.

Nobody in the media bother to look into my complaint where I gave the website and Conference evidence that even had Dr.Sheema Khan from the Whahabbi CAIR canada
that has cried Islamophobia after 9/11 when 19 MUSLIMs slaughtered Civilians for Allah's cause.