Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Rights Of The Child, UN Resolution

I was looking to blog on Human Rights Tribunals, and how out of control these semi-legal witch hunts are getting, and stumbled across this resolution from the UN.

Declaration of the Rights of the Child What struck me most was this part of the resolution:

Whereas the child, by reason of his physical and mental immaturity, needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth,

Does that not mean a fetus? So, according to my limited understanding of this resolution, babies in the womb deserve to be protected, legally.

Further to that:

Principle 4
The child shall enjoy the benefits of social security. He shall be entitled to grow and develop in health; to this end, special care and protection shall be provided both to him and to his mother, including adequate pre-natal and post-natal care. The child shall have the right to adequate nutrition, housing, recreation and medical services.


Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but pre-natal means, in the womb, he shall be entitled to grow and develop.

This is a UN resolution, it seems to me that it is protecting the rights of a baby, in the womb. So, why don't we hear about this? Nowhere does it state that women have the right to choose, nowhere does it say that partial birth abortions are a good thing and should be allowed. What it does say, is that children, in and out of the womb, should be "entitled to grow and develop". So, abortions deprive the child of the ability to grow and develop, therefore, they are not allowed under this resolution.

Much as I usually disagree with the UN, I agree with this resolution, wholeheartedly. Here come the lawyers, I'm sure, telling me that's not what the resolution really means....blah, blah, blah.

Legal protection before birth, that's very clear to me.

No comments: