Saturday, May 26, 2007

Planting Moss Baskets, It's Easy!


I hate the fake white plastic baskets that you pay over $30 for at any greenhouse or even at Rona, or Canadian Tire, they look cheap, yet you spend big money if you want to make your yard look beautiful.

So, I refuse to pay for those $2 baskets filled with cheap plants (I start mine from seed) that cost over $30 a pop.

How can you save money?

Garage sale, garage sale, garage sale. Every garage sale has something you can put a plant in, last year I bought a chair with no seat for a dollar, the lady asked me why, I told her, it would be an interesting planter. As you can see from the picture, a chair can be interesting! Also notice that all the flowers in the background are in cheap baskets, but they look great.

Do not buy the plastic hanging basket, or the coconut fiber basket, they look awful, and you can not use your imagination to create something you can call your own. I found 4 freezer baskets (cost $1) at a garage sale, I spray painted them green, filled them with moss, and planted some flowers.

Moss baskets are natural looking, and eco-friendly (had to add that just encase Suzuki is monitoring my blog HA), so, here's what you do:

Get wire container, press moss into container, fill half way with soil, put some plants like lobelia through the moss, plant any other plants you personally like, and presto, a beautiful, designed by you, hanging basket!

Like this one:



Any questions? Go for the natural look, and remember, Mother Nature, never plants her flowers all in a row, so don't do it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hunter -- I love your photos. I will link to your site tomorrow except I can't seem to get a URL just for that post. So, I'll just use your main address.

hunter said...

If I only knew about things like URL's, sigh. Thanks will put up some more pictures tonight for container lovers.