Monday, July 09, 2007

Poll On Pot.

The Globe and Mail had a poll on pot:

Should Canada decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana?
Yes (35%) 1425 votes
No (65%) 2636 votes
Total votes: 4061
Time: 11:40 PM Alberta

Final Poll Results
Should Canada decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana?
Yes (44%) 9012 votes
No (56%) 11468 votes
Total votes: 20480
Time: 8:00 PM Alberta

Interesting, when I first started watching the results 65% were against, the final result was 56%, and remember this is the very Liberal Globe, so the results are interesting.

CTV also had a poll:

Should the feds decriminalize simple possession of marijuana?


Yes 5946 votes (61 %)

No 3864 votes (39 %)


Total Votes: 9810

Not as many votes, and the same Liberal crowd. Now the CTV poll is still on going so results might change yet.

No matter what the final poll results on either poll, I have some questions for those who voted to decriminalize pot.

Can we have bars that serve pot if it becomes legal?
Will we have combo liqour/pot bars?
How about liquor/pot/smoking bars?
Will pot smokers be allowed to smoke indoors or will they have to stand outside in the cold like smokers?
If you can have a pot bar, can you then have a smokers bar?
If I do not want to get high from second hand pot smoke, can I lobby government so that no-one can smoke pot in public areas, including parks and public patios?

Okay, I have many more questions about how it would all work, but the very people who are yelling about smokers should be against legalizing pot, but where are they? Sitting in a corner, high on pot I guess, cause they sure aren't out there protesting.

I think the legalize pot people, have created a huge problem for themselves, because they are also the same people who want to ban smoking, a perfectly legal substance.

3 comments:

Raphael Alexander said...

I'll answer, since I favour the decriminalization of pot:

Q: Can we have bars that serve pot if it becomes legal?

A: I would support it. There are already several in Vancouver, and it works fairly well in Amsterdam under regulatory controls.

Q: Will we have combo liqour/pot bars?

A: I wouldn't support the mix of alcohol with pot. I don't like the association by degree as I feel alcohol is a much dangerous drug than marijuana.

Q: Will pot smokers be allowed to smoke indoors or will they have to stand outside in the cold like smokers?

A: Pot should be banned in public places, inclusive being public society in general. This includes parks, sidewalks, buildings, what have you. What someone does in the privacy of their home on the other hand...

Q: If you can have a pot bar, can you then have a smokers bar?

A: Hard to enforce but I am opposed to it. Marijuana is a natural plant which does not contain cyanide, fermaldehyde, carcinogenic poisons and toxins, etc. In short, second hand marijuana smoke isn't so bad, but cigarrette smoke certainly is.

Q: If I do not want to get high from second hand pot smoke, can I lobby government so that no-one can smoke pot in public areas, including parks and public patios?

A: Yes. I think that's a very valid concern. I wouldn't want my children near it either.

In reference to banning smoking, people usually want to ban smoking because it is a harmful addiction which also harms those who inhale the smoke around you. Marijuana is a harmless plant which can not even be proven to be psychologically addictive.

hunter said...

What someone does in the privacy of their home on the other hand...

Here's where you run into trouble, if smoking in an apartment is being banned, then, it's not going to be easy for pot smokers to make that statement about the "privacy" of their own home either.

You're in trouble with legalizing pot, because smoking has been so badly vilified that people want it to be made illegal, while you are trying to legalize a more harmful substance.

In reference to banning smoking, people usually want to ban smoking because it is a harmful addiction which also harms those who inhale the smoke around you. Marijuana is a harmless plant which can not even be proven to be psychologically addictive.

Well, are you telling me that if I sit by someone smoking pot, I won't get high by inhaling the smoke around me???????? I know I will, I went to many parties where pot was being smoked, and even though I didn't smoke any, I sure got high!

That's the problem, you dislike smokers, but pot is okay. And you don't want your children near it? Why not? If it is a harmless, natural plant that won't make your baby stoned if you smoke it in your own home, let the baby inhale it, it's harmless after all!

Raphael Alexander said...

I wouldn't smoke pot around my children, nor in a home that was subleted into an apartment. But there are places people can smoke in privacy. I consider pot smoking a discretionary and private matter, like sex, which so long as it doesn't interfere with other people, should be allowed.

I don't think cigs should be banned, for the record.