Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wear A Burka Day!


I know that wearing a burka wouldn't even be noticed in Saudi Arabia, but how about in North America? If we can have a boob quake, how about a burka bonanza? Let's all wear a burka for a day, and that means you guys too!

Why should we do that? I have been interested in how it would feel to be walking around only showing your eyes. I suspect it is a lot like getting dressed up for Halloween. I am always a witch at Halloween, and as I get dressed up, my personality changes, until I'm acting the part of a witch. Look at Marti Gras, once people are masked, they relax their morals, and do things they normally wouldn't do. A burka is a big mask that women hide behind.

The thing is, after Halloween, I don't go around in my witches costume, it gets packed away in a trunk until next year. Most importantly, by reverting to the normal dress of our society, I fit back in and can truly be myself, not some made up character.

Why would a woman choose to hide behind a burka? It is not a religious requirement of their religion, so why wear it here in Canada and risk being stared at or worse?
I personally think is as a form of oppression. I might wear a witches costume for a few hours, but by then I am tired of playing a role and want back into my sweats. Do the women who wear burkas feel the same?

I think the best way to gain prospective on this issue is to wear a burka for a day. I want to see all our MP's wearing them during question period, not to mock them, but to let them see what women who are forced into wearing them must feel. They have all sorts of days on Parliament Hill, like woman's day, and international day of the child, why not burka day?

I suggest an international burka day, in solidarity with all the women out there who are forced to wear them. Oh, and only black burkas would be allowed, anyone daring to wear a blue burka would be subject to big fines. Let's wear a burka for a day and see how we feel being stared at and maybe worse, only then can we formulate a law for Canada.

5 comments:

Frances said...

The burka is a very in-your-face repudiation of my country's values and morals. It is also intimidating and a power thing: the wearer sees and can identify me but I do not have the same right. I know everyone says the burka is respressing the wearer, but do you seriously think the Khadr women are repressed? They're expressing their sense of superiority vs the rest of Canadian society, not to mention total contempt for said society except as a cash cow.

Rightchik said...

While in the middle east (Syria and Egypt) I saw many women who were completely veiled - even the eyes were covered with a gauzy black fablic. These women would hold their heads down and have one hand under their veil so they could gaze at the ground as they were walking. I saw a few of them trip because they couldn't see where they were stepping. I saw women in varying degrees of veiling and the most ironic were the women who had their head scarf on and only showed their face and hands while their clothes were so tight they looked as if they were painted on.

On another note, the only time that the hawkers and store owners didn't harrass me was when I covered my head in a scarf and clung to my husband as I walked behind him.

L said...

Don't do this!!! Just cheer on Quebec such that this is never allowed here.

That said, I am glad the belly button tank top fashion is now passe.

MariaS said...

LOL ... I better go check the halloween stores to find those scary outfits.
On a positive note, Layton will be able to hide his baldness, even if it is only for a day.

Bre said...

Interesting blog.

Sorry, but I didn't have to buy a new item of clothing for boob quake.