Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Survey Of One.

Okay, I'll admit that I am a politics junky, I find all the twists and turns of politics interesting. What is the average voter thinking though? That's why I conducted my survey of one, one husband that is, who puts politics right up there with watching paint dry.

Now, he's from the Atlantic provinces, PEI, so I thought he would be interested in what the Atlantic Accord means to the Maritimes. Nope, he talked about the better opportunities out here in the west for his siblings/cousins and he switched to the golf network.

Alrighty then, next question. How are the Conservatives doing? Fine, the country is still running okay.

What do you think about the Paris happenings? The parents should have raised her better, not given her so much. Okay, that wasn't really political, but he had flicked over to the news by then and I took the opportunity to scope out his thoughts on that issue. I agree with him, the parents by giving her too much, forgot to help her find some purpose in life. Back to politics.

Did calling Quebec a nation within Canada bother you? What, Quebec is a nation? I never noticed, I could care less, it doesn't affect me.

There are rumours that some Afghan detainees might have been tortured, does that concern you? Who cares, as long as our soldiers are doing their best.

What do you want to see in the next budget? Tax cuts.

Not wanting to push my luck, I asked one final question: Who will you vote for next election? Who ever you tell me to, Dear. HA, not really, he makes up his own mind, but I do push my preference.

Much as the opposition and MSM are making mountains out of nothing these days, the average voter is just not engaged. Believe me, my husband is a very typical voter. I couldn't even persuade him to join up for the provincial Conservative party to vote for a new leader to replace Klein. We saw Klein getting an award the other night and he did comment on the fact that he missed him running our province, and sadly I had to agree, I do miss Klein.

My survey of one, sure you might think it's biased, but it does point out one interesting thing, even with a wife who is politicially engaged, my husband could care less about politics. So, most Canadians are probably like my husband, won't become engaged in politics until there is an election called and will base their vote on the performance of the PM, more than anything else.

1 comment:

Raphael Alexander said...

I'll take your poll:

What does the Atlantic Accord means to the Maritimes?

The what? Just kidding, but I'm not up on my maritimes politics. As your husband said, it doesn't affect me, so I won't whine about it.

How are the Conservatives doing?

They're doing well. They need to respond better on the Afghanistan issue, and cutting taxes would be nice.

What do you think about the Paris happenings?

She's getting her sweet come-uppance.

Did calling Quebec a nation within Canada bother you?

Yes, a little bit. I think we make too many concessions already, but to the French it is never enough. We should treat Quebec like every other province, and if they don't like it, let them vote again to secede.

There are rumours that some Afghan detainees might have been tortured, does that concern you?

No. It's probably bunk and should be handled internally.

What do you want to see in the next budget?

Tax cuts.

Who will you vote for next election?

The Liberals are criminals.
The Greens are out to lunch.
The NDP wants some kind of utopian ideal where everybody lives in harmony under equal salaries, except for the white man who has visciously used his privilege to enact brutal oppression of all other peoples.

That leaves the one party with any form of morality and common sense: The Conservatives.

Fun poll!