Monday, March 08, 2010

Through His Pain, He Shows Maturity!

When I read this, I was sad for his loss, but his response to what had happened showed what a caring brother he was, and how hard it was to help his brother. I have a huge amount of respect for how he is handling a very bad situation.

Don't blame cops: brother of man shot

WINNIPEG -- A brother of 28-year-old Eric Daniels, who was shot by Winnipeg police Saturday night in the West End while brandishing a machete, said he does not blame police for their actions.

“I don’t blame him for doing what he did,” Dallas Courchene, 23, said of the police officer who shot Eric Daniels. “My brother was responsible for his actions and he decided to do what he did even though he was drunk or intoxicated.”

Courchene planned to hold a candlelight vigil Sunday night for his sibling at the spot where he last faced the police.

“I’ve had enough of aboriginals blaming police and saying it’s racism. I’m aboriginal myself and I’m sick and tired of it,” he said. “They’re forced to make these kinds of decisions. This is going to be weighing on (the police officer’s) conscience for the rest of his life. I want to let him know that I forgive him.”


Being responsible for your actions....what a wonderful idea. I am truly sorry that no one was able to save Eric, I can not imagine living his life, but his brother is a ray of light in a dark time. He understands that aboriginals need to take responsibility for their actions, but he does it with heart and you can feel the love he had for his brother.

I hope that the police hook up with Dallas, and let him help them with other aboriginals. Both sides could gain from the interaction.

1 comment:

Bert said...

Wow. You don't hear that very often. Sounds like this guy has a good head on his shoulders.