Tuesday, March 30, 2010

With Slow Measured Steps...

We will take back our freedom of speech! Have you ever stopped and thought before you said "Merry Christmas" to someone? Saying "Merry Christmas" used to be an automatic response in this country, it isn't anymore. There is nothing hateful about saying "Merry Christmas" but now you might "offend" someone, and the way the HRC's are going, soon you could be hauled before them for just that reason, saying "Merry Christmas".

Ann Coulter, just by her trip to Canada, might actually do more to wake Canadians up about our erosion of free speech, than anyone, even Mark Steyn. She wasn't even in the country yet when she ran up against our lefty culture at universities in this country. When the students at UofOttawa managed to shut down her speech, they clearly showed how badly our country has gone off the rails regarding free speech. They shone a light on their own hateful attitudes, not just to Canadians, it made the news internationally. It also gave the Conservatives the perfect opening to start the freedom of speech issue, and they have started the ball rolling, in the most interesting of ways, in the Senate!

The senate, filled with old political appointed hacks.... some still left over from the Trudeau days, linger in the halls, like ghosts of an era gone by. Today, some of the new blood that has been injected into the senate, stood up and started the debate on free speech, and wonderful speeches they were!

I notice that Ezra has posted about this issue, so I will refer you to his post for all the relevant coverage. He is the expert in this issue, as he has had to suffer through 900 days of HRC rage and it's still not over for him.

This is a great start, and I think we have to thank Ezra, Coulter and Steyn for getting the ball rolling. I have already emailed Premier Ed about the AHRC's but so far, nothing is being done. It will be an election issue for me, my vote goes to the party that will shut them down.

5 comments:

CanadianSense said...

Politicial correctnes and anti-christian bashing has been going on for years.

The left love to disparage the church but won't take the next logical step.

Our media is also very lazy in reporting context for sensationalism.

What do you do with child molestors and repeat offenders?

Pissedoff said...

Like you my vote goes to the party that shuts them down, or at least sec 13 and the Lynch mob. It's why I didn't vote in the last election. Problem is I understand Harper is closing 3 CHRC office but increasing their budget by over a million and increasing the number of the staff overall. I believe Harper is supposed to be a friend of Levant, but I think he is his biggest enemy. This is something I have already told my tory MP when he came trolling for votes.

maryT said...

A town/city in Iowa tried to get rid of Good Friday, by calling it spring holiday. Union workers objected loud and clear, we get paid stat holiday and a day off for Good Friday, not spring holiday. Name returned to Good Friday.

Anonymous said...

What makes it disgusting is that any attempt in Canada to remove a Christian symbol or day is a thinly-veiled attempt to placate Islamic people. Well, I have news for those idiots - Islam regards Christ as a great Prophet and He figures in the faith. Christ is also not offensive to Jewish people because...Christ was a Jew. The left is cowardly - they would not dare try to remove anything Islamic because Muslims, unlike us Christians and Jews, will fight for what they believe. Unfortunately, we are complacent.

Personally, when somebody uses the Lord's name in vain in my presence, I politely make it known that I find it offensive. When I am wished 'happy holidays', I politely correct the person. When a retailer negates Christmas, I ask the president of that company - why do you think 50% or more of your year's sales are made in December?

I do speak up - after all, Christ was denied three times - I don't intend to do likewise.

Patrick Ross said...

Let's keep in mind that while we want freedom of speech to be protected in Canada, we don't want anything like this.

We need to be able to deal with the issue of hate speech.

But namby-pamby facetious complaints like that against Guy Earle are another matter altogether.