Thursday, August 16, 2007

BARKING Up The Wrong Tree!

The law clearly states that guide dogs can NOT be refused service, or entrance to any business, well last time I checked, a cab company is a business.

I foster guide dogs. My first guide dog in training is still the love of my life.

His name is Pride, and he is a seeing eye dog for a wonderful person, who's life has been improved immensely by this dog.

Our second guide dog in training ended up being one of the most awesome assistance dogs you have ever seen.

Her name is Aspen, and she helps her human by picking up dropped items, opening doors, and listening for fire alarms, as she is also a hearing dog. She's one serious dog, until she's not working, then she's pretty nutty.

Here, she is stalking the baskets I was getting ready to plant. Such a smart dog, I had just brought the baskets in from the garage, and I think she was looking for mice. Yikes!

My point is that these dogs improve peoples lives, religion has nothing to do with what they do, although they both went to Church with me, I don't think they understood the sermons, slept through them mostly. (The dogs, not me!!)

The cabbies that won't allow these wonderful dogs in their office (cabs) are BARKING up the wrong tree if they think they can break the law because of their religion.

VANCOUVER - A blind man denied service from a Muslim taxi driver for "religious reasons" has been awarded $2,500, the result of a B.C. Human Rights Tribunal discrimination settlement reached on Friday and made public yesterday.

Bruce Gilmour estimates that Vancouver taxi drivers have passed him over "a hundred times, maybe 150 times" since he acquired his first guide dog in 1984. But an incident one evening last year with North Shore Taxi Ltd. was "the straw that broke the camel's back."


Mess with my dogs, you mess with me, my business will go elsewhere, and I will protest loudly.

Who do we protect, the disabled and their special dogs, or Muslims because "maybe" their religion tells them dogs are unclean. Easy choice for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aspen was so fun to have around the house like my brother and i would chase her around the yard trying to get the ball out of her mouth (never really suceeding in getting the ball) but still it was a pail full of fun having her tho...if we could ever get another guide dog then that would be alot of fun because we love dogs. We have had Pride as well but thats another story.. anyways good bye everyone that posably is reading this because i am tired and going to bed... once more good bye to all.