Sunday, January 04, 2009

I Miss Ralph!

Sure Stelmach won the last election and gained seats when the media was telling us that he was going to lose big time, but really, who else did we have to vote for?

I miss Ralph! He might have been more liberal than conservative, but one thing you could count on was that he would stick up for Alberta, always. It seems some other people miss him too!

Give 'em the bum's rush

It was on a cold January day 27 long years ago that Ralph Klein gave his famous "Eastern Creeps and Bums" speech.

He urged the police to employ a little "cowboy" justice in dealing with the wave of criminals descending on Calgary and Alberta generally.

Of course, it immediately got twisted by the central Canadian media, who jump at any opportunity to Alberta-bash.

Klein was the rookie Calgary mayor back then. But those four words propelled him onto the national stage, turned him into an instant folk hero and set the wheels in motion to him becoming one of Alberta's most popular premiers.

Klein told the newcomers they were "welcome to stay here for a couple of weeks."

But if they haven't made it by then: "don't go out and rob our banks and our convenience stores or mug our senior citizens or snatch purses," he warned. "Get the hell out of town!"

Well, it's getting cold again, and 2009 is beginning to feel a lot like 1982.

With one big exception: we don't have a dynamic leader like Ralph Klein to tell it like it is.


One thing you could always count on with Ralph, was an honesty that few politicians have ever tried. I remember him telling us that if he was elected we would have to take a 20% reduction in the work force (mainly civil servants) to reduce our debt. We voted him in and kept voting for him because he was good for Alberta. We are now debt free, thanks to the voters who understood that a little pain would lead to a huge gain.

Saskatchewan gets it, BC is trying to get it, and Newfoundland has their own Ralph. Ontario and Quebec just don't get it. Both have not provinces think Liberal governments can get them the most from the federal government. I feel sorry for Ontario because they do not need to be a have not province, especially after years of supporting the rest of Canada. At least they have smartened up and realized that voting Conservative federally might help them.

Quebec is another matter all together. They continue to elect a separatist party federally because they think that party can actually gain them more entitlements. Why has Quebec never been a have province? Lazy, heavily unionized Quebec is like an anchor on Canada. I love their culture, but I can't stand their arrogance. What will they do next election when the Conservatives get a majority, without Quebec.

I miss Ralph, because he stood up for Alberta, he took the flack from the eastern media, and he protected our interests. He also was a down to earth guy that the average Albertan could relate to, drinking problem and all. You come to Alberta and work hard, no problem. You don't want to work, the bus to BC is revving it's engine as you pack! Granted BC didn't appreciate all our welfare cases, but hey, at least they didn't freeze in the winter.

Could we have Ralph Klein back at least for a day, so he could give us his Eastern Creeps and Bums speech again?

Once more, with feeling.


Yup, Ralph has been too quiet for too long! We miss you Ralph!

16 comments:

Martin said...

Hunter, Quebec and Ontario comprise nearly 2/3's of the country's population. Without us, there is no Canada. Read your history books and knock off the east bashing. It doesn't do a thing for you.

Remember, if we want more of your oil money, we'll simply take it. Now get back to your regularily scheduled redneck activities.

Alberta Girl said...

Oh Martin - you really do love us - are you sure you don't want to join us here in Tory land!! Like I said yesterday - we'd love to have you.

My husband tells the story of a co-worker who got a job with the Provincial Government - it was a job where they went out for the week to do the work then back to the city for the weekend.

The co-worker was told after the first week, in no uncertain terms by the other workers that he was getting too much work done. He was told how they worked. They did not start until Monday afternoon because the morning was "travelling"; then they did only 2-3 files per day and shut down at 3 for "paperwork". They didn't do files on Friday as that was to packup and travel back to the city.

The coworker was appalled at how slow they were and he eventually quit because he couldn't stand not working to his full potential.

This was one of the branches "closed" in Klein's revolution.

Interestingly, we were chatting with someone who worked in that field and was let go; he know says it was the best thing that ever happened to him; he now contracts the same work and is doing very well for himself.

On wonders if other unions operate the same way.

I won't hold my breath waiting for them to weigh in and confirm it - although I am sure there will be a few denying it.

Southern Quebec said...

Oh yes...the urban myth. Someone who knew someone, blah, blah, blah. I'm sure if a large corporation ran it, it would work out much better. Say Haliburton or KBR. See how fast your economy tanks now that oil is at $47/barrel. Just sayin'...

sor said...

I was born and raised in Quebec, schooled in Ontario and have lived in BC for 30 years so I feel quite comfortable weighing in on this discussion.

Both sides are operating from preconceived ideas.

For the information of Easterners, the west is NOT run by and for big multinationals. The majority of companies in Western Canada are small owner operated free enterprise businesses.

For the information of Westerners the east is not full of unionized clock watchers.

In fact outside of Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City the west and east has more in common that they have differences.

Gone are the days that Quebec and Ontario will dictate how Canada is govourned. As long as Quebec sticks with the Bloq the Liberals will never reform the govournment. The population base is shifting to the west and this will be accelerated with the downturn of the Ontario economy.

Liberals who sit back and believe that with a new leader that they will be back in the promised land are delusional and insulting Westerners won't help. Cheers.

maryT said...

As a former federal civil servant who was forced to pay union dues, I can verify that is the orders I was given on second day of work.
Basic rules in the 80s, CYA, don't do today what you can put off till next week. Pretend you are overworked and need another staff member.
I worked at Canadian Customs.

Alberta Girl said...

Hey SQ - since my husband and I worked in the same field; I can attest to the truth of what his co-worker said.

Anonymous said...

MaryT - when I first started contracting, one of my earliest contracts was with a government department. I remember on my second day, one of the women coming and literally pulling on my arm for me to join them for coffee. I don't take regular breaks and my staying at my desk while the others went for coffee made them look bad.

As a former westerner, I do prefer the western mentality. Although I've been out of the west since 1984, I still retain much of my work ethic and, unfortunately, have to belong to a union where I work.

Some unions are useful and necessary but some of them, like the ATU which has put our transit service out since December 10, aer not useful. In fact, the tide is turning against unions slowly but surely because of their bully tactics and members whose theme is much like the much quoted David Dingwall: I'm entitled to my entitlements. Oh yeah, Dingwall is a LPC. Why am I not surprised.

Southern Quebec said...

I think that's what I like about conservatives. They are so f***ing self-righteous. Like no one but them has a work ethic. Martin, I guess this qualifies as a red neck activity. Talking about how much better you are than "other" people.

PS If you belong to a union, you are enjoying the benefits!

Anonymous said...

Actually, SQ, I'd be further ahead without my union. If I could negotiate my own conditions and salary, I would be further ahead. Unfortunately, I have no choice.

Anonymous said...

Hunter - I remember something to do with Ralph which just goes to show how stupid the media and lefties really are. I remember him being accused of racism against Aboriginal people because of something he said.

So, then up pops Mrs. Klein and...guess what...no ruining the surprise, Hunter...she's Aboriginal. So much for his racism. It's kind of like calling Harper a woman-hater when he's married to a beautiful, intelligent, strong...WOMAN.

I miss Ralph because he vocalized what most of us would like to say or see happen. Unfortunately, the SQs of the world seem to be ruining it for the rest of us.

Alberta Girl said...

SQ - please point out where I said that only Conservatives have a work ethic.

I know alot of hard working people who are Liberals and NDP.

The post was about Ralph and Ralph cut the fat in the civil service here in Alberta - all I was doing was pointing out what I knew of it and others have followed suit.

Were you here in Alberta during the early 90's? Most unions here in Alberta still talk about Ralph and Dr. Death (Steve West - who actually lived in the town I grew up in) making huge cutbacks and how it was the worst thing that happened to Alberta.

Yep - the worst - that is when Alberta started the uphill climb to the successful province we are today.

And don't give me the crap about oil under our soil - that doesn't wash - and one only has to look at how Sask has become so successful since they changed their government.

So please don't put words in my mouth.

liberal supporter said...

And don't give me the crap about oil under our soil - that doesn't wash - and one only has to look at how Sask has become so successful since they changed their government.

Yes, that %150 a barrel for oil has nothing, nothing I tell ya, to do with it.

Hahahahahaha!

hunter said...

LS, that was a brief bump up, we were doing fine at $40 a barrel. I challenge you to come on out here and work as a roughneck, see if you last more than a week, bring your friend SQ.

Alberta Girl said...

L.S. - your silly comment shows EXACTLY what you don't know about Alberta!

liberal supporter said...

I worked in the tar sands for several months, years ago. Back then they needed $16 a barrel to break even, and prices fluctuated above and below that. It was, and is, a boom and bust economy out there. Your success is based on lots of hard work, not on who you elect for your provincial government.

Alberta Girl said...

LS - Hard work is correct although I would endeavour to say that having a government that is open for business allowed that "hard work" to take place.

Case in point is Sask. For years they had an NDP govt that was "saving" their resources for a rainy day. Everyone was leaving Sask and it was a have not province. They have elected a government that is pro business and within two years they have become a have province. There is no other cause but the change in government. So LS - yes - the government you elect can certainly change the success of an economy in a given region.