Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Blogging Athletes, This Could Be Fun!

I'm not sure that this blog from an Olympic athlete is what CTV expected!

Whistler Life

And as much as I'd like to tell you that life as an athlete is filled with bubblegum and cotton candy, chasing butterflies and giggling, reality paints a much different picture.

The un-glamorous truth is, Olympic season is the most notorious of all for unearthing the broadest spectrum of supporters and shunners, cohesiveness and controversy.

All of a sudden, all sorts of opinions and emotion bubble to the surface like oil from an unidentified well. An old cliché turns to fact - peoples 'true colors' indeed come out.

And although there is tons of encouragement by the majority of people, there is definitely a distinct group of people who haven't caught that metaphorical "Olympic" fever.

Simply put, I am preparing to race in a 'home' games in a place that feels nothing like home.
.......

To be honest I'm not exactly sure what the people in Whistler dislike more, the fact that I'm Albertan or that I'm a participant in their perceived '‘Olympic abomination.'

It's a double whammy against me. Lose-lose.

I can tell you though, that I am less frightened of the near 120, 000 black bears in the area than I am of writing down my home address, wearing my team jacket in public or cheering for the Calgary Flames out loud.

Maybe I reek with the stench of oil or speak in a tongue that sounds a little too progressive conservative, but I feel like if I'm not in snowboard boots, on a committee to save endangered squirrels or addressing the coffee barista by name, then I'm not welcome.

And it's not like we're trying to take over the town. We live humble little luger lives.
........

We can't even peacefully unveil the Olympic '‘uniform' that the Canadians will wear without political upheaval from our government's opposition and their accusations that the logo was a devious scheme of the conservatives as part of "cheap partisan politics."

Well I'm not much into politics but if the conservatives need me, I'll vouch for them. I was part of the athlete panel who voted on the final logo and I assure you, I wasn't in cahoots with Steven Harper.

At the end of the day, Steve Yzerman likes it, so it's fine by me.


I will be reading her posts with great anticipation! You GO GIRL! Win a medal, but if not, you are making Alberta proud.

2 comments:

liberal supporter said...

I found the shape of the "C" part of the logo looks a lot like the "C" in the Montreal Canadiens logo.
I can see how it resembles the CPC logo since it was pointed out, but it didn't jump out at me initially as much as the shape of the C looking like the Habs logo.

A tempest in a teapot.

hunter said...

I agree, it was more of a media driven agenda than a Liberal one. It was one question in question period, but the media all ran with it, shame on them.

All parties should get behind the Olympics, we are all Canadians and need to cheer on our team.