Thursday, April 09, 2009

Rigger Meets PM Harper!

What a day Rigger and I had! We got to meet PM Harper! I was very impressed with him. He is very down to earth and for all you dog lovers, I have it straight from the Prime Minister that he loves dogs and would someday, like to get a Labrador.



The first thing he wanted to do was pet Rigger. During the picture of the Edmonton Leduc participants, (edited from the picture because I do not have permission to post their pictures), PM Harper made sure the photographer got Riggers attention. This photo is by my friend, Ardvark. Thanks Ardvark, it was really nice meeting you. He can now attest to the fact that I am a real person, and that I am a female. He put together the fact that I had a "Dogs with Wings" dog with me, and that I was from Edmonton Leduc, so he came up and introduced himself. And here I thought I was all anonymous and everything, sheesh! It's going to be fun now because I can put a face to Ardvark when I read his blog.

The event was really enjoyable because you were in a room full of Conservatives, with not a single troll in sight. With only about 150 people in the room, and an hour and a half delay because of the protesters, not a single person complained. I met Rona Ambrose and Peter Goldring, both loved Rigger. You could walk up to anyone there and just start talking, of course Rigger is an excellent icebreaker, as my 15 year old son knows.

The Tamil protesters were out in force (10), with their terrorist flags waving, not a single Canadian flag in sight, it was frankly disgusting to see. How they expect Canadians to support their cause is beyond me. How they found out about this meeting is a mystery too, because it was thrown together in 2 days by the organizer, I only found out about it last night.

The Prime Minister gave a short speech, then met everyone for photos. He got in some good shots about Iffy changing his speeches from province to province, issue to issue, and how Liberals are all about getting back into power and only need two positive polls to force an election. PM Harper was very relaxed. He makes great eye contact, and is obviously very comfortable with who he is and what he wants to accomplish. I can picture sitting down with him over a beer and a good curling game and having a nice relaxing time. The whole gathering was very casual but reaffirming for Conservatives.

Rigger of course is oblivious to the fact that he met a very special person today, he thinks all people are special, especially if they pay attention to him. There was a real seeing eye dog there and Rigger ignored him, which is what he is supposed to do. So Rigger was the star of the day, and he doesn't even know it.

11 comments:

Bec said...

Aw, Hunter, you have had that great moment where you get to affirm, what you already know.

I am absolutely delighted as I am gathering it was the first, one on one.
He is a true gem of a guy and that for me, is why it is so hard to have him, LIED about.

Your dog sounds fabulous and I suspect my darling boxer Layla, would love to have an,"off leash romp", with your,Rigger.
ps. I chose not to comment on the last post but kudo's, to you!

Happy Easter, everyone and God bless,Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his, lovely family.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

What a wonderful day you had, Hunter! Thanks for sharing this with us.

maryT said...

I have also had the pleasure of meeting PMSH, and he is such a different person than what they make him out to be on TV.

liberal supporter said...

I have also had the pleasure of meeting PMSH, and he is such a different person than what they make him out to be on TV.
Funny, I was going to say the same thing about Paul Szabo, comparing his words here today with how he has been portrayed by Hunter in the past.

Congrats Hunter, I've never met a politician in my life. I'm just one of those mere voters.

Have a great Easter!

West Coast Teddi said...

WoW and from Leduc ... so cool. I too have met PMSH but many years ago at the beginning of Reform. Both my wife and I were instantly impressed.

PMSH is a pet lover and it shows and I'm sure he appreciates what a guide/personal dog can do and appreciates those that train them. Well done "Hunter" and keep up your good works ... and you never know, maybe Iggy can appreciate where a good dog points!!

hunter said...

The star is curled up in his bed, snoring!

Words can't justify the feeling of actually meeting the Prime Minister of Canada.

maryT said...

LS, what a sheltered life you must lead, to have never met a politician and just vote on what you get from the media. Why haven't you ever gone to a town hall meeting, even for an alderman or mayor, or a provincial or federal candidate. You should get out more, those meetings can be fun and educational. And if you have never met Szabo how can you say what you did about him.

Ardvark said...

It was a pleasure to meet you Hunter. We have been at the same events in the past but have never managed to cross paths before yesterday.

I have never seen the PM as comfortable and relaxed as he was yesterday. This is the Stephen Harper that the opposition does not want the public to see. It makes a mockery of all of their spin over that past 3 years.

I have to confess that that picture you posted almost did not happen. I couldn't figure out how to get the flash on your camera to activate so there I was with a member of the RCMP security detail trying to figure it out. We did in the end but I was sweating bullets since pictures like that do not get to happen every day and I did not want to mess it up =)

hunter said...

Ardvark, you did a great job! I saw you fumbling with the flash. I can't take a good picture with that camera but you did. Thank you!

Next event we need to actually sit down and chat for longer.

Alberta Girl said...

Hunter - you didn't happen to be in WEM with your dog and some other trainers and dogs the other day, did you? - I think Monday?

hunter said...

Alberta Girl, those would have been the puppy raisers. They have the hard job of socializing the pups. Rigger is at the next level, adult dog in formal training, so I just drop him off at the school.