Friday, May 15, 2009

Fox News, Opt In? Or Opt Out?

So SDA broke the news that Shaw was removing Fox News from it's line up, and you would have to OPT IN to keep the channel.

Shaw Filters Fox For U!

From one of several emails I've received;

I write to draw your attention to a situation I just encountered with Shaw Direct (the satellite TV provider formerly known as Star Choice). Returning from a short business trip my daughter advised me that there was a "message" from Shaw and I could read it on the TV.

The message advised me that in response to complaints (unnumbered and unspecified) about some disparaging comments about Canada's military folks made by a Fox News show personality Shaw had decided that those persons subscribing to Fox News would have until May 18 to affirm their desire to continue their subscription to that Channel or else it
would be shut off.


Seeing as I am a customer, I fired off this comment to AskJim:

I have read that Shaw customers now have the choice to get rid of FoxNews and replace it with something else. I specifically got Star Choice so that I could get FoxNews, so I want to keep it!

But, seeing as you are offering your customers the chance to get rid of a news station and replace it with another channel, I would love to get rid of CBCNews network (390) as it offends me daily, and replace it with Movie Central 1 (621). If Movie Central 1 isn't available as a choice, please send me a list of those channels I can choose from.

I think this is an excellent idea. You are allowing us to actually choose the channels we get instead of forcing us into selected packages. I have counted and there are 17 other CBC channels I would like to get rid of and replace with channels I would like to actually watch, is this possible? Thank you


I got the standard email of acknowledgment back a few minutes later. I checked for a response in the morning, nothing, but when I got home I had received two email.

Email one arrived at 10:08 AM:

Good morning xxxxxx,

Thank you for taking the time to email us at Shaw Direct.

Shaw Direct will not be removing Fox News from its lineup. We are enabling Shaw Direct customers the freedom to make the choice if they would like to receive it. There have been recent inappropriate and disrespectful comments on the channel regarding the Canadian Military’s efforts in Afghanistan, comments that were found to be offensive to our customers. Because of this, many Digital Favourites and FYI subscribers have expressed concern over not having an option to remove FOX News from their line-up. We are moving the channel to an opt-in service starting May 19. If you would like to continue receiving FOX News, we can add it back on to your account at no cost. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. We simply took into consideration the feedback of our customers, and created a way to accommodate everyone regarding this matter.

We are not offering for this channel to be swapped at this stage.

with thanks, Ross


The standard boilerplate email everyone was getting. They clearly say it is an OPT IN service.

Email two arrived at 10:09 AM

Hi xxxxxxx

Our customers have asked to remove it only because of the negative comments made about our military. We have just provided them the option to drop it but we will be keeping it on for anyone who wants to keep it

Regards

jim


Now this one sounds like people can OPT OUT of Fox News. So which one is it??

Opt-in or Opt-out?

I guess they decided to ignore the fact that I wanted to drop 17 CBC channels. Too bad, I really had my hopes up there! HA!!

If they turn my Fox News channel off even for one hour, I will be switching services.

14 comments:

Bec said...

I pay for Fox News as a subscriber but I also tried to opt out of CBC and CTV during the 08 election.
I received an e-mail similar to yours but explaining that all of this is regulated by the CRTC. In other words, no option. It is very frustrating but until the laws change, we are stuck with only one option, the remote control.

Southern Quebec said...

I don't watch TV, but isn't Fox the wing nut channel?

hunter said...

Okay my first email to Shaw was barely cloaked sarcasm, but I just emailed them a second time and I was more serious about this issue. Here it is:


If you take my Fox News away for even an hour, I will switch to another provider. I should not have to OPT IN, those who do not want it, should be able to OPT OUT. I already had to OPT IN to it when I picked the FYI option, I watch none of the other channels in that "package", as a matter of fact, MSNBC is very offensive to me, so you should make it an OPT IN channel as well, FOR EVERYBODY.

If you let people OPT OUT of Fox News, then you MUST allow me to OPT OUT of CBC News. If you do not, you are discriminating against me and my wishes. Your company has opened up a huge can of worms with this idea.

I understand that you were showing support for our troops, and I watched that RedEye show and was upset because I strongly support our troops, but you have no right to make the decision for me that I do not want this channel anymore.

It is bad enough that the CRTC regulates you so that you can not give us free channel choice, but you are being as bad as they are by arbitrarily listening to a small portion of your viewers who are using one late night show as a means to keep Fox News out of Canada, and further restricting my choices.

If those viewers are so upset, THEY DO NOT HAVE TO WATCH THAT channel anymore, just like no one has to watch the "adult" channels, just like I do not watch the 18 CBC channels. You have played right into the hands of the people who want to restrict my freedom of choice, shame on Shaw, I used to respect your company.

hunter said...

SQ the wing nut channel is CBC, and we get to pay $1 BILLION for the pleasure NOT to watch it.

Bec said...

Excellent Hunter and I also am pi$$ed that I HAVE TO PAY for a channel that I refuse to watch, namely that wingnut channel, CBC.

ian said...

Opt in or opt out?
Isn't that why the TV comes with a channel changer?

hunter said...

Ian, you would think so, that's why this Shaw idea is so stupid.

Rural and Right said...

I was seriously hoping for a Fox News Canada channel, someday soon.

I am on Star Choice in Ontario and haven't received this notice as of yet. If I do I will have to send them a letter asking to opt out of CNN, HNN, and CNBC as I have found comments on those channels to be offencive and that I may be filing complaints to the HRC after being forced to watch opinions and comments that offended me by Star Choice. How could Trudeau vision's CRTC ever allow us to be exposed to such free speech.

West Coast Teddi said...

If they take Fox away from me I cancel Shaw and look to another cable provider. Seven days a week I watch Fox and for at least 4 hours per night. The lefties can rail all they want but I want my Fox - too bad lefties - my choice my money.

Anonymous said...

In 1996, I had enough with Rogers and pulled the plug. The person asked why and I said when I could cherry-pick channels, pay per view, and be charged a reasonable maintenance fee, I'd re-connect. He suggested that I sign up for a package to have the channels I like. I hung up - the guy ignored everything I had said. It is now 2009 and I have never missed it. My old set finally started to go (it was nearly 30 years old) and I only bought a new one (and a DVD to replace my VCR) because when my mother visits, she likes to watch something on the tube. She complains a bit since she misses her regular programs but I refuse to pay those outrageous fees for one or two channels.

I wish more Canadians would pull the plug - then maybe the cable and satellite companies would get touch with the CRTC. The way it is now structured, the CRTC rules actually work in the companies' favour.

I get my news from the Internet and for entertainment, I either read or get together with actual human beings (my friends). I do have to admit that I recently broke my addiction to text messaging - man, that is so addictive. I have managed to resist the urge to get a blackberry but one day, I will switch my cell to a BB and hope to heck that I'll be able to control my love of text messaging once again. LOL.

Hunter - the jokes I posted come from an Australian site for Pastors and other clergy. I love the Australian style of humour - so subtle but funny as heck.

And, for ongoing humour, I rely on SQ's comments.

Southern Quebec said...

Ian: you can't be that subtle...

EofE: why thank you...

maryT said...

There are petions all over the net to save local ctv stations. I would vote if-I could opt out of QP, anything with giggles, oliver, fife, Lloyd and anyone on PP.
But, they come with local ctv so will opt out of signing.

Anonymous said...

YAY I hate FOX NEWS. I am in the Canadian Military ands thise slimy bastards can go screw themselves.

Reid said...

The internet is making cable tv obsolete. You can watch/download any program you want. And usually mere hours after their original broadcast time. The cable companies no longer have a monopoly on delivering the opiates to the masses.