Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Son Became A Man Last Night.....

And my only regret is that I wasn't there to see it!

Wait, read on before you start sending me comments about 15 being too young to have sex, and how parents should talk to their kids about being responsible. Remember, this is a big step in any child's life. He moved out of childhood and into that scary adult world of responsibility and understanding the importance of self reliance. I would have loved to have been there to see the huge grin on his face, and the realization that he was slowly becoming an adult.

He was at a birthday party when it happened, three 15 year old boys at West Edmonton Mall, going on rides in Galaxyland, checking out the girls and elbowing each other in the ribs when they saw a really cute girl. You know, doing what any 15 year old too shy to actually approach a girl and talk to her might do.

Then it happened! The birthday boy's father took them into a place that normally only adults go. Into an adventure that turned them from boys, into men! This was not laser tag, or paint ball, this was real target practice with real guns.

A Glock is what I hear!



After his first 32 shots ever with a real gun, this is what he did to his target:



You see, it's important for our kids to understand that not all guns are the fake ones on computer games. That dying on a computer game only means that you can't play for a minute, it's not real. It's important for them to understand where fake meets real. Today my son understands that a lot better because he held and fired a real gun. He still hasn't stopped grinning.

No zombies were actually killed in this exercise, but a boy took his first step towards becoming a man, and it had nothing to do with sex!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a little guy, I had a cap gun - remember the gun with the strip of powder dots which made a bang when the hammer hit it and smelled pretty neat? I also had a bow and arrow (suction cup, of course) and we played soldiers at war. At the same time, we were taught that real guns were very bad and we were taught to never, ever hit a girl. Yup, the bad old days.

I have to wonder, Hunter - were you aware that the father was going to take the boys to a shooting range? I remember getting a ride back from camp with some relative of a fellow scout - he took us to a sand pit and gave us guns to fire into the pit. I could never figure out why he did it and, to be honest, I was so uncomfortable holding a gun that I hoped to never see one again.

I know a few people who go to these places where they can shoot at targets; they own their own guns but leave them at the range where they are locked up. It frightens me how so many young kids get ahold of guns - despite a very costly gun registry, somehow these kids are getting their hands on guns and shooting fellow students or other gang members. We live in frightening times.

Bec said...

My son-in law did this for his stag but all participants had to be 18. Rather expensive, I thought. My husband and Dad, are very anti-gun (fear related) so did not attend.
Don't know, Hunter, sex may have been....nah don't go there, we are Mom's, first!! lol Cheers

Neo Conservative said...

*
"east of eden says... somehow these kids are getting their hands on guns and shooting fellow students"

seriously?

which kids are we talkin' about here? is that actually the case in your neighbourhood... or just something you read about in the newpaper?

i live in a rural farming community where virtually every household has at least one gun... and i have yet to hear of a single firearms related injury... never mind a death.

contrast that to the greater toronto area where shootings are front page news on a daily basis.

where exactly do live... and what's the actual bodycount?

just askin'.

*

Laurie Johnson said...

My son who has just turned 12 has been shooting with me since he was 8. He knows that the responsibility's of owning and using firearms are not to be taken lightly and that tv and movies do not show the reality of what a gun can do. He`s looking forward to his first deer next year.By having been trained in the proper handling and use of firearms I know that his future will not involve the gang banger lifestyle .

Southern Quebec said...

You may want to read this article before letting a kid have a weapon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27399337/
Everyone at this show was highly trained, and the kid still died.

Stick to sex -- no one dies...

Gayle said...

I learned how to shoot a gun while I was a kid too. I actually think it is important that kids learn how dangerous they are.

My dad took special pains to show me this as he and my older brothers are all hunters and so I grew up with guns in my house.

I was a good shot too.

Southern Quebec said...

What sort of a parent takes someone else's kid to a place like this without permission?

Beast said...

I agree, if a parent took my child there without my permission I would be livid. Aside from the obvious rights as a parent for that to be MY decision what if an accident had happened? That was wrong, plain and simple. And the motive behind it makes no difference. Good motives are often behind bad events.