Monday, November 15, 2010

Blind Muslim Woman Finally Gets Help!

As you all know, I foster seeing eye dogs (see dogs at right side), so this story is important to me.

I feel for this young woman, not being able to have a seeing eye dog to help make her life easier.
As a blind Muslim woman, Mona Ramouni has had to make do without a guide dog her whole life.
The 28-year-old's strictly religious parents would not allow a dog in the house, considering the animal unclean.
But then Miss Ramouni stumbled across a website article about miniature guide horses in April 2008.
I am glad that she got a seeing eye mini-horse.

I am disappointed that her parents are so ignorant that they actually consider dogs "dirty". I am glad that she now has eyes. One positive about seeing eye horses is that they live longer, so they can serve longer as well.

Seeing eye horses are rare, but they serve an important role in helping the blind. I'm not sure that they are any good for autistic children or the handicapped.

Dogs are better, but that might only be my bias.

H/T MaryT and Blazingcatfur

2 comments:

Bert said...

Being muslim, wouldn't they have settled for a seeing eye goat ?.

Joe said...

But you can't house train a horse!!!

What you can't see as she is getting off the buss with her seeing eye horse is the stinking pile dropped in the middle of the aisle for all and sundry to step in.