Monday, April 07, 2008

To The Unsung Commenter's!

I was thinking this weekend about what makes a blog successful. I know I've sometimes questioned why I keep at it, especially on the days when I work late, and only sit down at the computer around ten or eleven at night.

What makes a blog successful, is the people who take the time to comment on posts. Those comments are an indication of whether your post has hit a nerve or not.

Here's an example:

Alberta Girl said...
"What I enjoy most, is that often I am at work and can not comment, and then someone like Alberta Girl, Frmgrl or you, will come in and totally destroy some lefty poster/stalker who has left a comment that is way out of line."

Thanks! And it is my pleasure to take those lefties to task.... (I love that)

This is truly the final straw for me. In the past two years, how many times has the Conservative government done something truly great only to have it ignored by an MSM bent on being the mouthpiece for the latest liberal pseudo scandal.

The only good thing - there have been soooo many "scandals" that have blown up in the Liberals and the MSM's faces, that Canadians are actually starting to ignore them.

Think of all the polls that get put out hoping against hope that they will swing against the Tories and then they quickly disappear when they go horribly wrong.

It is time to keep notes, save comments, headlines, video and such for use whenever the Liberals and their MSM cohorts try to use a "found" document or video, or paper, or dead MP, or jailed woman, or former prime minister or.....

I know that I will be not only noting the bias, but I will be saving it on my computer.


This is a perfect example of people having the power to make changes. It's not the newspapers anymore, it's the everyday Canadian, finding their voice on blogs, on comments, on Facebook. Often, the comments become a blog, within the blog.

The commenter's gain a voice, their point of view gains power. THANK YOU, to all the unsung commenter's, who make the difference on a blog. Sometimes life intrudes and I can't comment, but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate your contributions and opinions. (That does not include my lefty stalker or people who insist on swearing).

5 comments:

hunter said...

Oh sure, NOW everyone's being shy!

Anonymous said...

OK just read this last post. Whatever you do don't stop blogging. I have enjoyed reading your comments at FD and was very happy that you developed your own blog. Itellegent insightful, not angry and humourous. I always feel a connection when I read your blog, along with a few others.
Keep on keeping on.

John M Reynolds said...

I disagree with jckirlan that you are not humourous. Of course, I understand the difficulty with fallicious strawman arguments based on an illogical order of items in a list.

I also disagree that commentors make the blog. The blog must start off being inviting and somewhat controversial so that a discussion follows. Without the original post, there would be no comments. Too often I see posts that just seem like they are preaching to the choir and require no comments. There are several blogs, like Anthony Watt's, where both the posts and comments are quite professional, but that could be in part due to an overactive spam filter.

It also depends on the purpose for the blog. If it is to highlight and track a single issue, like Tom Nelson's, then few comments are required. Indeed, his is so active with 41 posts yesterday that comments are quickly lost with their buried posts.

Finally, there are many blogs with too many commentors. Too many that just post pointless notes of "great post!" Feedback is fine, but a dozen similar posts is overboard. You need some people to take the opposing stance too or at least to fill in the gaps of any points that were missed.

Anonymous said...

Poor grammar on my part;I find you humourous and very accomodating to all bloggers of all sides. I, on the other hand, don't have the stomach to vhet Liberal and communists posts.

hunter said...

See, that's what I mean, the commenter's can give the blog itself a flavour, or identity.

I find on the odd occasion when I visit a Liberal blog, or lefty forum, swearing is the norm. For me, this takes away from the point being made.

I agree that rah, rah comments like "great post" aren't always the best comments, but they can sure make a blogger "feel" good!

Anyways, thanks for not being shy! Feedback is always appreciated.