Saturday, January 30, 2010

Keeping In Touch Or Out Of Touch?

So, I get a flyer from my MP called, "Keeping in Touch", nice that he wants to get in touch, but it's like he sat down for two minutes and wrote it. It talks about the upcoming budget, and the committee that he chairs, but it doesn't state anything about what he has done in our community over the holidays (and he has done lots if you go to his web page). The next two pages are the same questions you can answer online at www.fin.gc.ca and the last page asks me about the issues that are important to me.

What I can't understand is what was the purpose of the flyer? Nothing about policy, nothing about what government money has been allocated to my riding, nothing about the future direction of the government, just a bunch of white space. If I had just moved into the area, I would have no idea who this guy is or why I should vote for him. If these flyers are meant to inform, then this didn't inform me of anything. I'm sure he's not the only one sending out these flyers, and I know he is a really hard working and very well respected MP, but looking at the flyer you wouldn't know it. There's no there there!

The same can be said for the Conservative web site. Their idea of multimedia is a photo album!! Can they not afford a camera man?? We have to rely on the biased media to report on what happens at all these meetings. They are really good at asking us for money, but not so good at communicating what the party is doing. They should have speeches posted from all the Ministers and especially the PM, but when I click on the Youtube link, it doesn't work!! Communication is the life blood of the party, and knowing that the media is biased against the Conservatives, they should be taping and posting everything they can so that we can see what really happened, like at Davos.

A great example of what our MP's should be doing to communicate with us, is this post from Maxime Bernier, he gets communications! Make sure you watch the videos, he gives an excellent speech about what he sees as the direction for Conservatives. I hope that he soon gets the industry portfolio back because he did an excellent job in that position.

Keeping in touch? A flyer to constituents is only one way to engage your constituents, but at least make it count, make it engaging. My flyer went right into the garbage because I had already gone to the finance site and entered my requests for the next budget, the most important being to extend the home improvement credit. MP's need to use all the tools at their disposal, and the Blogging Tories are a force that they are ignoring, except for Maxime.



My prorogation video has over 500 views, that's more than double the number of protesters who showed up in Edmonton. I bet that I get more views on my blog any given day than my MP's web page gets in a year. In the last election lots of bloggers promoted their Conservative candidate, and I am sure that it made a difference in some of the close ridings. Yet many MP's don't even know that the Blogging Tories exist. Too bad, because we are a powerful voice for the Conservative cause. The dippers and libs have their own blogging community, but it is nothing like the Blogging Tories. The Conservative party needs to look at how Obama won, bloggers were a huge part of his win.

So, keeping in touch? How about out of touch?

8 comments:

The_Iceman said...

It could be worse, you could be reading a 49 page 2005 Auditor General report on the CBC; a "special examination of its financial and management control and information systems, and of its management practices".

It is boring but informative. I'm on page 34, and my upcoming blog post about it is currently at 720 words. There is some great material in these Auditor General reports. The CBC is due for a new one in 2010. Say, what year is it?

Kristin Beaumont-Politics and Other Things said...

I think more can be accomplished by sending a private email or letter to your MP..

Southern Quebec said...

"Yet many MP's don't even know that the Blogging Tories exist."

Oh, they know...they just don't want to be associated with a group of muslim/immigration bashing individuals. It looks bad come election time.

West Coast Teddi said...

Good analysis Hunter. As regards the flyers, I need to remind myself that I am a little more politically active than "the average voter" and that if the "average" takes a look at the flyer for even some seconds, there might be a recognition at the ballot box(if they even vote!!)

Being a Fox News watcher, I have signed up for a couple of American news alerts online. I probably get half a dozen emails every day from some of the "stars" of the Conservative movement down south. They sure know how to inform and ask for money.

I think that the CPC are affraid to get into election mode for fear of ticking someone off or making a gaffe - "perogygate" is an example of negative PR. Things will heat up with the new senators, Iffy is starting to bring out some policies that will add to the CPC file.

I would let the PM and your MP know of your concerns and "displeasure".

Anonymous said...

SQ, I'm surprised. I never realized that you hated Muslims and immigrants. I mean, you frequent that sort of site so you must be in full agreement with those sentiments. Personally, I have never been on such a site but I'll take your word for it that they do exist and that you frequent them and are in full agreement. I already knew you were sexist and racist but I didn't think you hated immigrants and Muslims. You're quite the character, are you not?

CanadianSense said...

Liberals have a history that they are running from.

Omark Khadr was captured at 15 in 2002, left to rot for 4 years without any concerns and the SCC noted the violation his charter rights were abused under the Liberal government.

The $ 10.5 million payout was a result of the Liberals again ignoring the human rights of another Canadian citizen. (Arar)

In BC during APEC - they had the RCMP pepper spray, round up, strip search Canadian citizens so a dictator would not be offended.

Peter Donalo complained about the CBC coverage and had a reporter suspended.

Do you remember the same Liberal PM knocked down a fellow for not moving out of the way in Quebec?

The flagship Liberal PM invoked the War Measures Act and round up over 450 Canadians, only 60 were charged.

What Liberal PM went to Cuba and had the admiration/support of Communist Cuban Dictatorship?

During the 13 dark years of the Liberals they raised the head tax on immigrants, thankfully Harper cut that in half.

The immigrant vote has left the Liberals years ago. Same with Catholic voters. Like most Canadians they are ashamed of how far they have fallen out of support with key demographics.

In 2008 they were reduced to the worst showing in history in POP.

In November 2009 they failed to make any gains in fourt seats (BC, QC, NS).

Sadly the remaining supporters have been unable or unwilling to donate money to pay off their loans.

Deadbeats for a deadbeat party. Janine Kreieber was correct about the dustbin of history.

Southern Quebec said...

E of E: You obviously missed my drift. Have you visited SDA or Dodo? Delightful...not.

Hinchey's Store said...

Hunter - totally agree with your subject. I try really hard to read those updates, but I learn nothing from them. They don't even begin to explain anything about what's really being done or being proposed.