Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rally In Edmonton!

Just got back from the Harper rally in Edmonton. It was electric! Over 1000 Conservatives all packed into a room, making noise and enjoying Harper's speech.

We waited in long lines, then we were packed in there like sardines, one poor old fellow even fainted near the end. I made two new friends in the lineup. It was easy to start talking because we knew we were all there for the same reason. We were Conservatives, meeting other Conservatives to show support for our MP's and Stephen Harper.

Harper's voice is sounding a little raw, and up close his hair is quite gray, but he was pumped and he looked like he was having fun.

He had us laughing about Dion's shifting the shift. He said something to the effect that Dion was so busy shifting the shift, that he wasn't even sure what colour the shift was. Too funny! Very subtle, but the crowd got it.

I walked away with a great big Harper sign, and more enthusiasm for this election than before. He got the crowd pumped, and now we need to get out there and get the voters pumped.

We ARE better off with Harper!

11 comments:

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Very exciting, Hunter! Thanks for the first hand report.

Ardvark said...

It was a great event and nice to see the PM back in town again. I see that I missed you again, or did I?

I am just glad that I didn't wear my polar bear outfit because there was already someone else there with one on. Imagine the embarrassment.

hunter said...

Ardvark, we've got to stop not meeting this way! I was the middle aged lady with a Harper sign! Oh, wait...never mind.

Next time, I will wear a blue flower in my hair!

You saw a guy in a polar bear suit? Dang, I miss all the fun. Did he get slapped on the head with Harper signs? That's what I would have done if I had seen him.

What would they have done to me, a middle aged 100 pound weakling?

Kristin Beaumont-Politics and Other Things said...

Thanks for the great report on the rally. 1000 people packed in..is none too shabby...wonder if the media will report it...ya think?!!!

Roy Eappen said...

Glad you got to go to a rally Hunter. It is a lot of fun!
We should all meet up in Winnipeg!

Ardvark said...

The polar bear guy/gal was one of a handful of protesters that were near the back entrance to the hotel. I guess you went in on the other side and missed the assorted protesters and hippies. I hope that your line was shorter than the one I was in because I barely made it in before Rahim started things off.

I was told that there were 1200 chairs plus standing room, so the may be a very conservative (pun intended) estimate.

As for the media, Rosemary Thompson was there and all smiles and I ended up having a long chat with Global TVs Jacques Bourbeau about travailing with the PM and a few other things campaign related before he had to head out to fly down to Calgary. It was very interesting to get the MSM perspective.

hunter said...

I did go in the other line, so I was in the first row of people standing up, glad I didn't have to go to the washroom, I never would have made it out of there!

Video of rally coming up!

maryT said...

Do you think Gayle was there, maybe in the polar bear suit.
She has disappeared from the blogs.

Alberta Girl said...

"It was very interesting to get the MSM perspective."

Is that perspective something you can share. I would be interested to know their take on things.

Ardvark said...

Alberta girl there was nothing really groundbreaking in that conversation. He offered up a few opinions on the PM and Dion, but we all have those don't we.

Our discussion was more about his job and him traveling around the country with the PM and having to hear the same speech, or slightly different version a few times every day, the reactions of the crowds and how it varies from city to city, bad hotels and even remembering what city they are in at any given time. The campaign takes it toll on everyone and reporters are no exception.

Reid said...

That's awesome that you got to go Hunter! I have my own post up now about Harper in Calgary. Definately not a rally of 1000 but exciting in it's own right ;)